- The governing bodies and authorities of CANQATE are the General Assembly and the Board of Management. (The Board will co-opt persons to work on special projects from time to time.)
- All members may participate in the Administration of CANQATE, and in the General Assembly of CANQATE.
- Only those who qualify for full and associate membership have voting rights.
The General Assembly is the senior policy and decision-making body of CANQATE. It is composed of members of CANQATE, each represented by one nominated person.
- The President of CANQATE presides over the General Assembly. In the President’s absence, the Board of Management shall elect one of the Board Members to preside.
- The General Assembly shall hold an Ordinary Meeting at least once every year as part of the regular conference of CANQATE.
The responsibilities of the General Assembly are to:
- Elect the President and other members of the Board of Management;
- Exclude, on the recommendation of the Board, any member who disregards the Constitution;
- Establish the courses of action and make the decisions or recommendations necessary for the satisfactory operation of CANQATE, in the framework of the Constitution;
- Consider and approve the reports of the President and the Secretary;
- Consider annual subscriptions and any other contributions to be paid by members;
- Consider and approve CANQATE’s financial statements; Amend the constitution of CANQATE, as required; and
- Select the organizers of the next regular meeting of CANQATE.
- The members present at a meeting of the General Assembly constitute a quorum for the meeting.
- The decisions of the General Assembly shall be adopted by a simple majority of voting members.
Board of Management
- The Board of Management manages the general affairs of CANQATE.
- The Board of Management of CANQATE shall be comprised of seven (7) persons, four (4) of whom must be elected from the Quality Assurance Agencies, inclusive of Agencies in formation.
- Membership of the Board shall include the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer, and three (3) other members.
- The immediate past President shall serve ex-officio as a Board member for a period not exceeding two (2) years from the date on which he/she ceased to hold office as President.
- The President assumes responsibility for the roving secretariat of CANQATE which moves with each new President.
- The Vice President has responsibility for information and communication.
- The Secretary is responsible for taking the minutes at meetings and notifying members of meetings.
- The Treasurer is responsible for the upkeep of financial records of CANQATE
- Board Members shall be elected by the General Assembly for a period of two (2) years (a term of office), and shall be eligible for re-election. They may however be elected for no more than two (2) consecutive terms
- The Board of Management shall meet at least twice per year, once as part of the CANQATE Annual Conference, and at least once more during the year.
- Five (5) persons, at least three (3) of whom must be from the accreditation agencies, shall constitute a quorum for a meeting of the Board of Management.