Membership in CANQATE is open to all countries in the Caribbean. CANQATE has three kinds of membership:
- Full: organizations such as accrediting agencies, universities and other tertiary institutions, evaluation agencies and similar organizations within the region responsible for assuring the academic quality of tertiary institutions or educational programmes;
- Associate: Organisations with a major interest in evaluation, accreditation and quality assurance in higher education, but without the responsibility for assuring quality for institutions or education programmes;
- Individual: persons who are interested in and/or involved in quality assurance.
Honorary members may be appointed at the discretion of the Board/Management Committee from among persons who have made or are making distinguished contribution in keeping with the goals of CANQATE.
All full members may participate in the administration, the General Assembly and other governing bodies of CANQATE. Associate and individual members may participate in the General Assembly and other activities of CANQATE but do not have the right to vote.
To apply for membership in CANQATE, the applicant must complete a Membership Registration Form to be sent to the Secretariat of CANQATE. Included on this form is information pertaining to the applicant’s role, interests, responsibilities and operations.
Members are obliged to:
- Abide by the Constitution of CANQATE
- Comply with decisions and resolutions of CANQATE; and
- Remit, in due time, the subscriptions or any other contributions determined in accordance with the Constitution
The procedures for admission of members are as follows:
The Secretariat shall verify that the request for membership complies with the terms of membership (full, associate or individual) and make a decision; and
The Secretariat’s decision shall be presented to the Board for ratification.
- Benefit from the Secretariat’s services;
- Collaborate in the attainment of CANQATE’s aims and objectives;
- and Exercise their rights according to the Constitution.
Notwithstanding anything in the Constitution, no member organization shall be expected, by virtue of its membership in CANQATE, to do anything contrary to the rules and requirements of that organization.
Membership will be withdrawn if the member:
- Resigns, in writing, to the Secretariat; or Fails to maintain the conditions that allowed its initial admission, as set out in the Constitution;or
- Does not fulfill the obligations set out in the Constitution; or
- Acts in CANQATE’s name without authorization; or
- Fails to maintain the conditions that allowed its initial admission, as set out in the Constitution.
Benefits of Membership include:
- Reduced rate for annual conferences
- Publications including newsletters featuring members’ activities, conference proceedings
- Consultancy Services
- Secretariat services
Membership fees effective 1 January 2004:
- Full Members: US $200.00
- Associate Members: US $150.00
- Individual Members: US $100.00
Membership in CANQATE is wide and includes:
- National accreditation bodies
- Tertiary Institutions
- Ministries of Education
- Professional bodies/agencies
- Individuals who are interested in quality assurance and standards