A Centre of Excellence in Tertiary Education Quality Assurance with a strong membership base that influences Tertiary Education in the Caribbean
To enable members to share information about the maintenance, evaluation, accreditation and improvement of higher education and to disseminate good practices in the field of Quality Assurance.
(Approved by the Board of Management on 7th October 2011)
- Promote and assist in the implementation of best practices in quality assurance (QA) in tertiary education;
- Provide up-to-date information on QA issues for Caribbean agencies/networks/ tertiary institutions and organizations;
- Ensure mutual recognition among QA agencies in the Caribbean;
- Support QA agencies in identifying funding to assist in their activities;
- Advocate for regional bodies in regional and international forums;
- Work with other professional bodies on matters of QA and accreditation;
- Support and advise CARICOM and other Caribbean regional bodies on matters pertaining to a regional framework for QA;
- Develop a cadre of professionals in the field of QA;
- Encourage and support research in the field of QA;
- Network regionally and internationally with similar organizations.
- Increasing Membership Development
- Improving Stakeholder Relations and Support
- Managing Organizational Sustainability
- Building Capacity and a Quality Culture in Regional Tertiary Education
Theme 1: Increasing Membership Development
Increase and sustain membership growth through:
- The Establishment of vibrant operational Country Core Groups; and
- The Imaging and promotion of the organization to relevant professional, educational and other bodies
Theme 2: Improving Stakeholder Relations and Support
Secure support from regional and other stakeholders by:
- Meeting with government officials in different territories
- Inviting Heads of Governments, Ministers and their advisors, heads of professional bodies and other influential leaders to present papers, keynote addresses etc. at the Annual Conferences; and
- Securing observer status for attendance meetings of the Council for Human and Social Development (COHSOD) – CARICOM and the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)
Theme 3: Managing Organizational Sustainability
Pursue avenues to secure CANQATE’s financial viability and sustainability by:
- Seeking funding from potential sources such as government, international and private sector donors;
- Providing on-line advertising for sponsors and others through CANQATE’s web portal; and
- Charging fees for membership, conferences, workshops and other for other services.
Establish an Effective and Efficient Secretariat by:
- Endeavoring to build a financially sustainable Secretariat with the operational systems to facilitate effective management and continuous improvement that is representative of a centre of excellence;
- Improving our technological systems for outreach to the membership, including support to all Country Core Groups in the region.
Theme 4: Building Capacity and a Quality Culture in Regional Tertiary Education
Facilitate commitment to Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) – Institutions and Agencies by:
- Promoting a Quality Culture which embraces the principles of CQI;
- Enabling training and development for professionals in CQI; and
- Recognizing “best practices” in Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Enhancement (QE).
Be a Centre for Research and Development:
- Encouraging research and development of policies and practices in QA and QE within the region; and
- Seeking opportunities to provide region-wide consultancies to improve the policies and practices in all areas relevant to CANQATE’s mission.
- Disseminating valuable research materials on policies and practices in QA and QE within the tertiary education sector to stakeholders regionally and extra-regionally.